In the past, the Microsoft Dataverse connector exclusively supported the current environment in a flow. To access Dataverse in different environments from cloud flows, you had to use either the deprecated Dynamic 365 or the legacy Microsoft Dataverse connectors. However, with the introduction of the Environment parameter, the Microsoft Dataverse connector’s triggers and actions now offer the same level of flexibility. You can connect to either the flow’s current environment or select another one.
During the preview of this feature, new and existing flows can incorporate distinct actions and triggers with names ending in “selected environment (preview).” Following the preview phase, the Dataverse connector actions in existing flows will automatically include the Environment parameter. There is no action required from flow owners, and existing flow functionality remains unchanged as a result of this update.
The following diagram shows a Power Automate cloud flow being triggered when a row changes in the Contoso Support environment. It takes actions in other Contoso Services and Contoso Field Service environments to list rows, add a row, and perform an action in the example Contoso Corporation’s Microsoft Entra tenant.
New vs Old Dataverse connector
- The following Microsoft Dataverse connector actions support connecting to other environments. In the flow designer, the preview actions with the environment parameter have names ending in selected environment (preview) for each of the following actions. (ETA: Available now in all regions except US and government clouds. ETA to reach US is tomorrow, 10/24).
- The actions to search rows and perform a changeset request don’t have preview actions with the Environment parameter yet (ETA TBD).
- The following triggers support connecting to other environments but preview operations haven’t been released yet (ETA November 2023)
- The following triggers won’t support the Environment parameter since they’re only applicable to the same environment the flow is located in.
- When a flow step is run from a business process flow
- When a row is selected (ETA November 2023)